Are you looking for a new backyard project? Why not build a barn shed!
Barn sheds can be used for a variety of purposes. Store gardening tools, lawn mowers or use them for housing farm animals. You've always thought about chickens or a couple of goats for your backyard, so why not?
And the best part is that they can be built using a variety of materials, meaning that you can tailor the shed to your own needs and budget.
Plus, there's nothing quite like the satisfaction of knowing that you built the shed yourself! So if you're looking for a fun and practical project, consider building a barn shed.
With a little bit of effort, you'll have a beautiful and functional addition to your property that you can enjoy for years to come.
The first step in any building project is to purchase a plan. There are a lot of factors to consider when designing the perfect shed.
When planning your shed, be sure to take into account the following:
- The purpose of the shed. Whether you're looking to store gardening tools or house farm animals, the purpose of your shed will dictate its size and design.
- The location of the shed. Where you build your shed will also affect its size and design. For example, if you're planning to build the shed near a fence, you'll need to make sure that it's tall enough to accommodate the fence.
- The type of materials you want to use. Barn sheds can be built using a variety of materials, from wood to metal to plastic. Consider what type of material will best suit your needs and budget.
Once you've considered all of these factors, you're ready to start designing!
How to Build a Barn Shed
What You'll Need:
- A level piece of land on which to build your shed
- Barn shed plans
- The necessary materials for your chosen shed design
- Tools for building the shed
Step by Step Instructions for Building your DIY Barn Shed:
1. Choose the perfect location for your barn shed. The location should be level and near other structures on your property, such as your house or garage.
2. Select the barn shed plans that best suit your needs. There are a variety of barn shed designs available.
3. Gather the necessary materials for your chosen shed design. This will likely include lumber, nails, screws, and felt paper.
4. Begin construction by following the instructions in your barn shed plans. You might even want to hire a professional contractor to do the job for you.
You'll either need to pour a slab of cement to put your shed on or level an area and start with floor joists.
Cover the joists with plywood. Some people use 1/2" plywood and others prefer a heavier base. Then go ahead and get the wall frames started. Lay out the framework for each wall including the wall studs.
When the walls are up, add the rafters, roof framework and finally some plywood to cover the roof.
5. Finish the exterior of your shed by adding shingles, paint, or other trim as desired.
6. Move any items you'd like to store in the shed into the finished space. Enjoy your new barn shed!
Different Shed Ideas
There are all sorts of different ideas and designs to choose from, so pick your style of shed.
If you want a classic barn look, you can go for a traditional Gambrel roof design. Gambrel Roof design sheds have become increasingly popular in recent years for their country-style charm and versatile storage options.
These barn sheds are perfect for anyone seeking a rustic look for their property, and the gambrel roof design is well-suited for lofts or other storage areas. In addition, Gambrel Roof design sheds can be customized with windows and a cupola to create a truly unique shed that will be the envy of your neighborhood.
Whether you're looking for a charming garden shed or a practical storage solution, Gambrel Roof design sheds are an excellent option.
If you're looking for something a little more modern, you could opt for a shed with a lean-to roof. Modern sheds are all about clean lines and a muted color palette. They often have large windows to let in natural light, making them the perfect spot for an at-home office or art studio.
Wood sheds are a popular choice for modern style thanks to their easy customization. You can add hooks, shelves, and workbenches to create the perfect space for your needs.
With their stylish looks and versatile functionality, they make the perfect addition to any backyard.
If you're tight on space, you could even build a shed that has a loft area for storage space. A shed with a loft is a great way to add extra storage space above the shed floor. The loft area can be used for storing boxes, seasonal decor, or even for extra sleeping space if you're using the shed as a tiny house.
Many designs utilize a loft area, and most of them also have windows to add outside light to the inside of the shed. The loft in a shed is a great way to make use of the vertical space in the shed, and it's a great way to add extra storage without taking up valuable floor space.
No matter what your needs are, there's sure to be a barn shed design that's perfect for you.
Ready to build your own barn shed? Order easy to follow plans here.